Lara Herscovitch is a gem of a modern American troubadour.
A singer-songwriter-poet-performer-author and policy social worker, Lara writes masterful modern folk music, sings and leads with authenticity, integrity, humor and heart, delivering performances that inspire, inform, uplift and entertain.
As described in The Boston Globe, she brings "...a luminous voice and a buoyant stage presence... big-hearted lyrics embrace the sum of life... Herscovitch's music blows on the embers of a lagging spirit or a dormant creative life."
Acoustic Live in New York City added, "She possesses not only a huge reservoir of musical talent and a voice with a bell-like clarity, but a keen sense of global concern and a fierce intellect... It might seem too good to be true, but true it is... a rising talent who is truly someone to watch for."
Former State Troubadour of Connecticut, Lara creates poetic and soulful treasure map stories of underdogs & misfits, connection & courage, love & loss, hardship & hope, resilience & transformation. As Connecticut Public Radio host Colin McEnroe observed, "Lara reminds us that music can be heroic when it springs from a strong heart. Walt Whitman would recognize his own soul in her expansive American vision, and there really is no higher compliment I can pay an artist."
The perspective and wisdom in her artistry comes from decades of humanitarian work in the U.S., Latin America, Asia and Africa, focused on education, community development, environmental protection, and justice system reform. This depth of experience and commitment resonates throughout her music, all traveling on a voice that Performer Magazine called “clear and smooth like expensive liquor."
The jury is in and is raving about her artistry and humanity:
- “She possesses not only a huge reservoir of musical talent and a voice with a bell-like clarity, but a keen sense of global concern and a fierce intellect... It might seem too good to be true, but true it is.” –Acoustic Live in New York City
- "Humanitarian, activist, and talented singer songwriter - she's bold and honest bringing some of the world's biggest issues to light. Don't miss the chance to hear one of the best female troubadours live." -Moonlight On the Mountain (Birmingham AL)
“Singer-songwriter Lara Herscovitch doesn’t write songs just for the ears, but also for the heart and soul.” The Daily Journal (Tupelo MS)
And her writing:
- “expertly written prose… songwriting at its best… Lara gets it all done with her skillful songwriting – musical timing, memorable melodies, and compelling lyrics. It’s good for your ears AND your soul.” -Sound Waves Magazine
- "There are so many great lines, couplets, and extended metaphors in her work that I hardly know where to start... It's rare to come across poets able to inject such an achingly human and knowing warmth into their work... It's obvious that this musician-composer has hit her stride, that her star's still rising." -Folk & Acoustic Music Exchange
- “Lara weaves a tapestry of melody and poetry that stirs the intellect while reaching deep into the listener’s soul… A proud torchbearer, she is today’s troubadour, carrying the essence of the folk spirit, drawing comparisons to the likes of Joan Baez and Ani Difranco.” –Citizen News
- “Anyone who can’t resist clever wordplay, unselfconsciously soulful vocals and catchy tunes should check this out.” -New York Music Daily
And her performances:
- “…Her voice and performance style had me captivated right away. She truly stands out in a crowd” –Valley Folk (NY)
- “The wonderful Lara Herscovitch kept the crowd rapt the entire evening.” –Broward (FL) Folk Club
- “The abundance of singer-songwriters on the scene today requires a musician to really shine to rise above the crowd, and Herscovitch does that from the first line of the first song…” -Taconic Press
- "Her lyrics are pure, her sound original and her music is strong enough to soften even the hardest of critics... Always friendly and ever ready to establish a bond between performer and listener... Herscovitch's songs are moving and full of meaning... those who hear, see, or speak with her will not soon forget her name.” -Register-Citizen
- “Lara is sharp as a tack (and wickedly funny) in a New York City kind of way… polished, confident, talented.” -Scenic Root
- "Lara is such a compelling performer. Her songs come across with the force and gravity of someone who has been on the front lines and has come back to tell us about it." -Christopher Street Coffeehouse (NYC)
Lara is also a regular guest speaker and workshop facilitator on themes including creative courage, songwriting, values & mission, and artistic advocacy for a healthier world. She earned a BA in Political Science from the University of Massachusetts and a MSW in Policy from the University of Connecticut. She grew up in the Northeast U.S. and lives in Connecticut.
- Highway Philosophers - 2020 (co-produced w/ Stephen Murphy)
- Wingspan (single) - 2017, La Rama Records (co-produced w/ Adam Michael Rothberg)
- Misfit – 2016, La Rama Records (co-produced w/ Adam Michael Rothberg)
- Four Wise Monkeys – 2012, La Rama Records (produced by John Jennings)
- Through A Frozen Midnight Sky – 2009, La Rama Records (produced by John Jennings)
- Juror Number 13 – 2006, La Rama Records (self-produced, out-of-print)
- There – 2002, La Rama Records (self-produced, out-of-print)
- Sin Tierra – 2000, La Rama Records (self-produced, out-of-print)