Lara Herscovitch is a gem of a modern American troubadour. A singer-songwriter-poet and performer, she writes masterful modern folk-Americana music, sings and leads with authenticity, integrity, humor and heart, and delivers performances that inspire, inform, uplift and entertain diverse audiences.
Sound Waves Magazine described her mastery as “expertly written prose… songwriting at its best… Lara gets it all done with her skillful songwriting – musical timing, memorable melodies, and compelling lyrics. It’s good for your ears AND your soul.” This craftsmanship travels on a voice that Performer Magazine called “clear and smooth like expensive liquor,” and is accompanied by guitar infused with her skill as a percussionist. Former State Troubadour of Connecticut, she has played thousands of notable stages and festivals including A Prairie Home Companion (American Public Media) and Pete Seeger’s Clearwater Festival & Great Hudson River Revival.
Her themes span a broad range, including poetic treasure maps and stories of circus escaping, caterpillar racing, tire pressure & the meaning of life, underdogs & misfits, connection & courage, love & loss, hardship & hope, resilience & transformation. As Connecticut Public Radio host Colin McEnroe observed, "Lara reminds us that music can be heroic when it springs from a strong heart. Walt Whitman would recognize his own soul in her expansive American vision, and there really is no higher compliment I can pay an artist." Put another way, “Lara’s music has that special sauce: it sticks to your soul” (Everything Sundry: Introducing you to all kinds of great music blog).
The wisdom in Lara’s artistry comes from her decades of humanitarian work in the U.S., Latin America, Asia and Africa, focused on education, community development, environmental protection, and justice system reform. The depth of this experience resonates throughout her music; as Mississippi’s Daily Journal summarized, “Singer-songwriter Lara Herscovitch doesn’t write songs just for the ears, but also for the heart and soul.”
The jury is in and is raving about this accomplished, award-winning musician:
- “It’s rare to come across poets able to inject such an achingly human and knowing warmth into their work... It’s obvious that this musician-composer has hit her stride, that her star’s still rising” –Folk & Acoustic Music Exchange
- “…Her voice and performance style had me captivated right away. She truly stands out in a crowd” –Valley Folk
- “above and beyond the pack” –Performer Magazine
- “The wonderful Lara Herscovitch kept the crowd rapt the entire evening.” –Broward Folk Club
- “She possesses not only a huge reservoir of musical talent and a voice with a bell-like clarity, but a keen sense of global concern and a fierce intellect... It might seem too good to be true, but true it is.” –Acoustic Live in New York City
- “Lara weaves a tapestry of melody and poetry that stirs the intellect while reaching deep into the listener’s soul… A proud torchbearer, she is today’s troubadour, carrying the essence of the folk spirit, drawing comparisons to the likes of Joan Baez and Ani Difranco.” –Citizen News
Lara tours and performs widely across the U.S., playing solo and with her backing band the Highway Philosophers. She is a regular guest speaker, keynote presenter and workshop facilitator on themes including creative courage; songwriting; team-building around values & mission; and artistic advocacy for a healthier world. She holds a BA in Political Science from the University of Massachusetts and a MSW in Policy from the University of Connecticut. She grew up in the Northeast U.S. and lives in Connecticut.
- Highway Philosophers - spring 2020 upcoming (co-produced w/ Stephen Murphy)
- Wingspan (single) - 2017, La Rama Records (co-produced w/ Adam Michael Rothberg)
- Misfit – 2016, La Rama Records (co-produced w/ Adam Michael Rothberg)
- Four Wise Monkeys – 2012, La Rama Records (produced by John Jennings)
- Through A Frozen Midnight Sky – 2009, La Rama Records (produced by John Jennings)
- Juror Number 13 – 2006, La Rama Records (self-produced, out-of-print)
- There – 2002, La Rama Records (self-produced, out-of-print)
- Sin Tierra – 2000, La Rama Records (self-produced, out-of-print)
Awards & Showcases
Lara was honored to be selected as State Troubadour of Connecticut (2009-2010); was given Roots on the River's Singer Songwriter Award; won numerous singer-songwriter and songwriting contests including Solarfest, Family Folk Chorale and Wooden Apple Music Festival, and has been featured in numerous emerging artist and formal showcases at Falcon Ridge Folk Festival, Folk Alliance International, Northeast Regional Folk Alliance, Southeast Regional Folk Alliance, and Telluride Bluegrass Festival, among many others.